Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Bell & Howell Camera questions

  1. #1
    Inactive Member woods01's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 1st, 2002
    Posts
    75
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Angry

    I'm trying to find out more information on
    my camera a Bell & Howell MS 45. Mainly
    regarding its light meter and few other
    functions.

    I've tried google and the S8 manual archive and there is nothing on this camera. So I am wondering if there is anyone on this board who has one or can reccomend a similar model which I can try other searches for?

    Its got some nice frame rate features (single frame and several time-lapse settings) so there must be someone out
    there who uses it, I hope!

    John

  2. #2
    Inactive Member woods01's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 1st, 2002
    Posts
    75
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well Mike this was exactly the kind of response
    I was hoping for [img]smile.gif[/img] Here's some of my questions,
    answer those that you can I understand that you
    aren't an expert.

    1. For setting the f-stop, since you can only
    view that through the viewfinder I was wondering
    where on the wheel do you know what stop you
    are in? The middle is my guess.

    2. How do you find the built in light meter? Or
    do you use a hand meter and set the stop manually?

    3. The Backlite button, what the heck is it? [img]smile.gif[/img]

    4. Are there any strange lights in the view
    finder I should know about? It looks pretty
    straight forward otherwise (battery light flashes
    for low power, "F" for full mag, etc.)

    5. Any idea what the frame rate for the slo-mo
    button is? 36 fps?

    6. Under the control panel there is what looks
    like a rectangular button under red decal line
    for the "exposure" and "effects". It looks like
    it might press in and remove the panel. I've
    tried pressing it and it won't budge. Is it
    actually a release button? Or am I just seeing
    things? [img]smile.gif[/img]

    If you have any operation tips from your experience I'd appreciate that too. Thank you
    so much for any help!

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Actor's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 9th, 2000
    Posts
    622
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool

    From the Super8 List
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
    Bell&Howell

    MS 45

    Year: 80

    Lens: 1,2 / 8,5 - 34 mm

    Auto / Manual Zoom

    Aerial Focusing

    Macro focusing

    Auto Exposure

    Frame rates: 18

    Shutter degree: 225

    Auto Recording Level Control
    </font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

  4. #4
    Inactive Member tanenbaumm's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 29th, 2002
    Posts
    14
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by woods01:
    3. The Backlite button, what the heck is it?</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Since this is the only one of those questions I can answer (being a complete newbie), I'll answer it!! [img]smile.gif[/img]

    A backlight button adjusts the automatic f-stop on a camera for when the subject is darker than its background. Standard example: a person standing in front of a brightly illuminated window. On my Bauer, the adjustment seems to "pull" the exposure down about 2 stops (say from 11 to 5.6). Er...have I used the term "pull" correctly here?

    Hope that helps!

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Mike Buckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 7th, 2002
    Posts
    614
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have this exact same camera, but I dont have the manual anymore....I've looked all over, but can't find it. You can buy one from this place, camera manualsThey are in England, so I dont' know what the price would be, but didn't look too expensive. They do list the Bell and Howell ms45...there were several models available. If you have any questions about the camera, ask away...I'm not an camera expert, but I might know some answers to your questions! Mike

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Mike Buckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 7th, 2002
    Posts
    614
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    the middle of the fstop indicator is what fstop you have it on. The light meter is thru the lens, and the fstop moves according to your light source...I take a reading by turning on the camera in back of the pistol grip, then lock the setting by switching the exposure control to manual. Tanenbaumm answered the question about the backlite button...if your subject is standing in front of a bright background, depress the button to open the lens more to better photograph your main subject. The lights in the indicator window are pretty self explanatory...the only one you won't see light up is the sound indicator, which only operates if you have a sound cartridge in the camera. The rewind button is for doing in-camera lap dissolves...only works again with a sound cartridge, but you can overcome this by covering up the little black button inside the film magazine, and fool the camera into thinking there is a sound cartridge! You push the rewind button as you're filming...the lens slowly closes automatically, and the film stops...all this while you are still filming...you then let up on the pistol grip...and you'll hear the camera rewinding a short bit of film....then you start filming again, the camera automatically starts from black to regular aperature, and runs normally...voila...a great looking lap dissolve! As to the frame rate for slo mo...i'm not sure, but it sounds faster than 36fps to me. As to the little black button at the bottom, it is a latch for the control panel...if you press down on it really hard, the module will detach...all you'll see underneath is a smooth black surface with electronic contact points...really no need to remove it at all. The basic camera originally came without the control module, it had a cover for that spot...there were a choice of 2 modules you could buy as add ons to the camera...one with a few effects, and the fancy one, which I have, and so do you. how much did you pay for your camera? Did you know, brand new, with the module, that your camera originally sold for about 1000 dollars?? And that was in 1981 dollars..I got mine for about 700...the camera store was trying to get rid of them to make room for the ****** video cameras that were coming out at the time. Also, if you notice, the camera has a great macro setting...if you swing the zoom handle all the way to the left, then pull up on the little spoke, you can then move the little handle further...now it's in macro mode...staying within the range on that white line you'll see on the side of the lens..you can get in really close to things...works great!!!! To get out of macro mode...rotate the zoom lever on the lens to the right...once you're outside of the white line area, it will "pop" back into regular focus again. Cool ! anything else, just ask, mike

  7. #7
    Inactive Member woods01's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 1st, 2002
    Posts
    75
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Wow! I had no idea about that macro setting. That
    suddenly gives me some new ideas of things to
    film. I bought the camera at a garage sale for
    $40 CND. Hearing what it cost originally I understand why the seller didn't want to haggle
    too much for the price. In todays dollars it would cost probably around $2500-3K!

    I must have really lucked out to have found
    one with the fancy control panel. I was pretty
    impressed to see that it had such a wide range
    of frame rates from single frame to settings
    for frames-per-minute. Which is why I bought it.
    I had originally hoped to get a more basic
    camera for $20.

    I do have another question about the pistol grip
    controls. Now I noticed that the side button can
    be used to lock the trigger in place, probably for
    time lapse shots. But its that rear trigger that
    confuses me. From your last post it sounded like
    you use it to get meter readings. Which I tried
    out and seemed to work. However I don't understand
    what the lock on that back switch is for? I noticed that the Delay button only works with that
    lock engaged is that its only use?

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Mike Buckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 7th, 2002
    Posts
    614
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    That rear trigger button turns on the power to the camera...it allows you to set exposure,check battery and how much film is left, and locks so you can do time lapse and timer delays. Another feature I forgot to mention, you see the little lightning bolt next to the hole on the side of the camera? It's for a cable attachment that can plug into a flash, and it allows you to do frame by frame with synchronized flash...too cool! Only thing, I don't know which flash units are compatible. Man, I gotta get a manual!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •